Thursday, July 10, 2014

GOOD NEWS, ESPECIALLY FOR PARENTS OF YOUNG KIDS



Dear Parent,

I believe that physics can be learned by children through games and sports.

Physically, we understand this, for example:


If we’re off balance, we instinctively put our arms out, and move our feet apart   (for a better center of gravity).


If we’ve hit something too hard, we want to remember to use less force the next time.


As we struggle to pedal a bike uphill (using a lot of energy), going downhill  we may need to use the brakes or we’ll go faster and faster (due to the way gravity works).


The above are just a few examples of how everything we do involves physics.

Basically, what I do is give a name to what our bodies already know.  
 Using language leads to deeper understanding.  
I also like to demonstrate the same principle in different ways (the more reinforcement, the better).


You can start by concentrating on just two things:


GRAVITY    and    ENERGY


Explain that gravity is something that is all around us, we cannot see it-- but we can feel what it does.  It pulls things down, it keeps things down.  So when I’m climbing uphill, it is harder work, because gravity is pulling me down when I am going up.    I have to use a lot of my energy.  But when I go downhill, it’s easier because now gravity helps me, and I can use less of my energy. 


These are some of the examples I’ve used:

            Sledding story (read it further on in this blog)

            Blowing bubbles  (energy to blow the bubbles, gravity to pull them down)

            Volleyball with a beachball or balloon (I call it Volleyballoon)

            Jumping   (jumping over a puddle; jump rope; doing the “Hokey Pokey”).   
            ---a lot of energy is used in moving your whole body when you jump  
            ---jumping up against the pull of gravity!


Slide in the playground---This could be a way for you to get started teaching science to your child.   
Remember:  More energy needed going up due to the pull of gravity.  
                   Less energy needed going down because the pull of gravity helps you.
                   (no work – let gravity do it for you).   I call this the “Whee !” factor.


Some children will quickly understand the idea of gravity;  some won’t right away.         At some point they will get it.  


Being aware of and understanding physics in daily activities will help physics to make sense when it is studied later. 

Try it!  You can do it.  Thanks!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment