Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Report on the South Shore Science Festival -- The Song

I was really happy to be able to let people know as we opened the science festival that the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Museum of Science announced this month their collaboration to teach the science of baseball.  Around the same time that I heard about this, I made plans to have Li'l Miss Sofia Hurley, 10, of Quincy sing at the opening of our festival.  What could she sing, I wondered. 

About a week later I listened to a CD of the Boston Pops Orchestra playing baseball songs, and of course, Take Me Out to the Ball Game was one of them.  While I was listening to it, I thought: I could adapt that!  Here is the result:


TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME     by Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer
(Take Me to Science Festivals!)             by Kathy Dullea Hogan

Sung by Miss Sofia Hurley (Li'l Miss Sofia) of Quincy, Mass. 
at the third South Shore Science Festival, Quincy, on April 22, 2017.

1) Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks
I don't care if I never get back.

For it's root, root, root for the home team.
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out
At the old ball game.

2) Take me to science festivals,
Take me for science fun:
Legos, jump ropes, and biotech --
I don't care if I never get back!

For it's string-can phones and 3D print,
If I can't go, it's a shame.
For it's 1, 2, 3 motion laws
At the science festival !

“Take Me Out to the Ball Game” is a 1908 Tin Pan Alley song 
by Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer.

The Museum of Science had sent someone to our festival who ran a table, too.  Later she asked me if they could use my song at the museum.  Of course I said yes!

I'll add more later.  Just wanted to share the song with y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment