Thursday, June 19, 2014

The NATIONAL SCIENCE TEACHERS ASSOCIATION (NSTA) and a gift that I won

Over a year ago I joined the National Science Teachers Association.  I receive their magazine every month, Science and Children, as well as email newsletters, etc., and have participated in two online webinars.  It was great news to learn that this year the national convention was to be held here in Boston at the Exhibition and Convention Center in the Seaport district.    It was held in early April.  I spent three days walking miles and miles.  Good thing it was long enough after I broke my right foot so that I could get around on my own! 

One of the workshops I attended was about making gliders.  This workshop was run by SAE - A World in Motion.  We had a good time, especially toward the end of the time when we took the gliders out to the corridor and launched them.  I learned that just a little bit of Silly Putty on its nose made quite a difference in its stability. There was a raffle, and four names were drawn.  I was one of the winners, and several weeks later a classroom kit arrived for making gliders.  Tomorrow I'm going to the Bernazzani School in Quincy to meet the principal, Peter Dionne, and will donate the kit to the school into the capable hands of 5th grade teacher Patrice Healy.  She will be teaching a NASA unit next year, and this should fit in nicely with her plans.

Looking forward to meeting them and the fifth graders!

No comments:

Post a Comment